Donor Bill of Rights
Adopted as a founding principle by the Board of Directors of the Huntsville Hospital Foundation May 1998. Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors have full confidence in the Huntsville Hospital Foundation, we declare the Donor Bill of Rights be adopted as a governing principle:
- To be informed of the Foundation’s mission, of the way the Foundation intends to use donated resources, and its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be assured that the information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To have access to the Foundation’s most recent financial statements.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the Foundation’s Governing Board, and to expect the Board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the Foundation or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that the Foundation may intend to share.